Week 7 - Reading A - West Africa


I think these spiders are so cute. This is how I imagine Anansi. Picture from: Link

This week's stories were fascinating. I really enjoyed them. Usually, when I think about creation stories, I think of these super intricate and highly detailed stories. These were short and sweet and often didn't end the way I expected them too. I wasn't a big fan of the spider, that guy was a real jerk hiding food from his own family. He was so selfish, I assume that's why his stories are an excellent way to teach lessons about generosity and kindness. The son seemed like a fascinating character. He was just as intelligent as his dad, yet he only ever used it to teach his father a lesson when he was selfish. These stories had a really interesting father-son dynamic. My favorite one was "Anansi and Nothing" I think it demonstrated a very important lesson and ended in a way I could have never imagined. It explained why little kids cry. This really caught me off guard and I really liked it. 


West African Folktales by William H. Barker and Cecilia Sinclair, with drawings by Cecilia Sinclair (1917).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Storytelling - Hannah's Wrath