Week 10 Reading Notes A - Inuit Folk Tales



A polar bear, like the one from the story. Image source

For this weeks reading I chose the Inuit folk tales. These stories are much different that the other tales I’ve read this semester so far. Some of them, like the Earth’s creation story, were really blunt. In the creation story, the Earth and all its trees and valleys just fell from the sky. Not much imagery or mysticism in this story, but the others are different. Some of the others are full of some sort of magic or sorcery. I’m still confused not the one about the man and the wizard where the wizard made the man’s wife disappear by making her hang her shoes to dry? My favorite of all of the stories was the one about the pet polar bear. I like how they really personify the polar bear and it basically becomes one of the members of the tribe. I felt really bad for it when the people of the other villages would attack it. I think imma use that story for my story on Thursday.


Source: Eskimo Folk-Tales by Knud Rasmussen with illustrations by native Eskimo artists (1921).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Storytelling - Hannah's Wrath