Week 5 Reading A - Sinbad


Sinbad escaping his grave: Link

The stories of Sinbad's travels were interesting. I liked how he used creativity to get out of those dangerous situations. However, they all seem to follow the same pattern, which made the story predictable and repetitive. The trend is, he gets on a ship, something happens, and he becomes endangered, others die, he makes it out alive, he finds someone that feeds him and treats him well, he recovers his lost or acquired goods from the trip, sells them and makes a ton of money, goes home, becomes bored, goes on another ship. The story is really similar to The Odyssey in a lot of ways, mainly because it follows the same sequence of events. While I don't like the repetitive nature of the story, I did like how unique some of the situations he found himself in. My particular favorite was how he was buried alive and resorted to killing others to eat their food. What a wild story. When I write my project, I will definitely want to include some crazy stories like these. I think Sinbad's stories will serve as a good source to draw from when it comes time to that.

Story: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

Link to story

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Storytelling - Hannah's Wrath