Growth Mindset


Image of the sun.

From https://www.google.com/search?q=sun&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS824US824&hl=en-US&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK8smqqpnkAhUF7qwKHTYwC2wQ_AUIFigB&biw=1112&bih=725#imgrc=PGUQAxc0QDB6YM
I attribute myself a lot with the sun because of all the summers I spent working under it and the worked ethic I developed during those summers.

I had never heard of Carol Dweck nor her growth mindset until today. I want to say that I have that I was raised with a sort of growth mindset and maybe I can attribute my academic success to that. My dad had worked landscaping since he came to the United States and in 2016, my freshman year in high school, he quit his job and became his own boss. At first it was a bit slow, but eventually, things picked up. The summer after my freshman year I started working for my dad, not really because I wanted to but because I had too. We would wake up at 6 am and often not be home until 8, 9, sometimes even 10 pm. Those days were long and hot, working under the sun. We worked 6 days a week, only taking off Sundays and rainy days. I grew very tired and frustrated with working so much, my father and I often got into arguments and whatnot. One day, I asked him why we had to work so much and he told me that we have to take advantage of every day we can work because we don't know if we will be able to tomorrow. Since that day I’ve had this “work til the work is done” mindset which I apply to most aspects of my life. Of course things go wrong from time to time and in those instances I like to remind myself that set backs or obstacles aren’t failures rather challenges to overcome. I do that by thinking of this saying “todo tiene su tiempo, todo tiene su lugar.” It translates to everything has its time, everything has its place. I don’t remember where I first heard this phrase and I’ve never researched it to find out its origins but it has stuck with me for a very long time and its these two things that keep me we are focused and balanced. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Storytelling - Hannah's Wrath